Yesterday, I post “Are you a desperate blogger? What’s wrong with you?” I have received some great response. I felt a little bit desperate when I re-start my blog. Today, I just read a good post about mistakes a new blogger often made at very beginning of their blog life. I have made some mistakes that I should have done, which really hurt my blog for years.
Did you ever make mistakes?
First of all, why do I like what David Airey said about those mistakes? David Airey is one of the very talent graphic designers I found on the Internet, I read his blog everyday. The mistakes he list are a little different than many other bloggers list. It’s based on his personal experience. Many bloggers just copy and copy what other people said. So its worth to bring David’s 7 mistakes attentioin to my viewers. You can read more details about those mistakes at Top 7 blog mistakes to avoid. For your quick reference, here are the 7 mistakes David list with my 2 cents
- Not using a self-hosted blog – I think this is one of the very critical things for a blogger. I have post my thoughts about this at Why You Should Move Your Free Blog to It’s Own Domain. Simply. Would you trust free services that will not last forever?
- Expecting people to visit – I was told by some friends that people will find you if you have good quality content. Would you believe that?
- Not writing as if I’m talking – This is very interesting thoughts. I was told by my English teacher that I am a good talker, but not a good writer.
- Changing the location of my blog – This was one of my biggest mistakes I made. I switch my blog from subfolder into the root of my web 2 years later. Suddenly my pages are all missing from the Google Search Engine. It kills my page ranking from PR5 down to PR1. I am down to the Google Hell! Now I have to start over again.
- Neglecting my article headlines – Headline is one of first think people reads. Put yourself in your viewer’s shoes. Would you spend more than 5 seconds on a post you are not interested? An eye catching Headline will steal 10 minutes from your viewer. Not just 5 seconds.
- Not linking to others as I’d like them to link to me – You have to be kind to give before asking for given.
- Underestimating the time commitment – Oh.. Now I know how much time I have to spend on writing blog.
In addition to David’s list. I have also made the following mistakes, which kills my blog and drove my viewers away few years ago. I hope no one make the same mistake.
- Too much ads on my blog – This is definitely annoying to your viewers. Use your ad wisely and people will click on it. Over use it will cost you more!
- Blog for search engine not for your viewers - Manipulate your blog with two different versions could give your blog a death penalty. It will not destroy your reputation; it will kill your blog forever.
- Ignore your viewers - Your viewer’s opinions counts. If you ignore their thought, you have just missed the chance to grow. You need to digest what your viewer said. You have to listen just like you want your viewers listen to you.
- Never admit the mistakes you made - No one is perfect. Without admit the mistakes you made, you will never grow.
Did you make mistakes? Please share that with me and my viewers.